- a novel legal or financial issue is presented
- one spouse or partner has hired an attorney to litigate the matter
- there is domestic violence
- parents cannot agree on a custody arrangement to meet their children’s needs
- one party refuses to agree to an outcome that is fair and supported by law
- one party is so resistant to participation in the dissolution process that a court must impose solutions
In these cases, the goal is to resolve what can be settled and submit the remaining issues to court for decision with the greatest possible civility and financial efficiency.